Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What is This Critter

Botanical name Ficus Benjamina

These small bugs showed up in the valley about five years ago and have returned each spring. They attack only ficus plants.


There is a little black bug that attacks ficus plants. It is about 1/32 inch long.
This animal is narrow, I cannot see its legs but it moves rather quickly. I have not seen it fly. It causes new leaves to fold up and the edges curl. When the leaf is opened there are tiny yellow specks that look like fine sand.
I have been to several nurseries with mixed results, no answers.
One place suggested Bodine Systemic, granules or liquid.
What are we dealing with?

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

As common as ficus or weeping fig trees are down here, I am shocked that you haven't found a nursery that can answer your question. I'm not a bug person - I tend to just wait for the good bugs to take care of the bad ones and the plant usually bounces back. Is there a web of any sorts inside the leaf where it is curled closed?